Click on the button below for the membership application which must be completed and returned with a current CV
The SCMS is the professional association of physicians in Saginaw County, and is a component of the Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS). In order to be a member of one, you must be a member of both. AMA membership is optional. Membership is open to MDs and DOs. Serving all specialties and all practice types - hospital employed, group and solo.
SCMS Membership Provides Members and Their Staff:
- The Bulletin is printed and distributed nine months per year via mail and email with articles and information pertinent to SCMS members and their staff.
- Pictorial Membership Directory used by members and their staff on a regular basis, and provides access and information on your practice to other member physicians outside your specialty. In addition, a Directory that includes office address and phone (but not pagers, fax numbers or email) is printed and distributed to 1,000+ households in Saginaw County at the Annual Health Fair and in physician offices.
- Referrals to patients seeking new doctors – we do not give out information for non-members.
- Five membership meetings per year where our members have an opportunity to network and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow physicians who love the practice of medicine and want to see progress made in the Saginaw medical community. In addition, our meetings include interesting speakers and an opportunity to earn CME credits.
- A unified voice on medical issues to our legislators, our area hospitals, insurance companies, etc.
- Political activism in support of medicine-friendly candidates.
- Loans and scholarships to local medical students and nursing students.
- Community service to actively and tangibly give back to the community where you live and work through SCMS sponsored projects (Habitat for Humanity, East Side Soup Kitchen, serving breakfast each October through Homes from Heaven, donating funds for a drug education program in the Saginaw schools, the medical wing at Mid-Michigan Children’s Museum, Underground Railroad and other area non-profits; hosting a Health Fair each year for the Saginaw community attended by 1,100+ offering free health screenings and information, plus the opportunity to speak with our member physicians directly to answer questions and promote your practice).
- An active Peer Review Mediation Committee to provide a forum for patient complaints to be heard. Peer Review reduces the number of medical malpractice cases.
- An active Peer Review Ethics Committee for physician to physician issues.
- An active Physician Health & Well-Being Committee for our members who may be experiencing difficulties in their personal/professional lives which is strictly confidential.
WHY PAY DUES?
You already directly benefit financially from MSMS and SCMS efforts, whether or not you are a dues paying member. Why pay membership dues when you get all of this for free? Because all physicians need to “fund their voice.”
National polls show physicians as one of the most respected professions. Sadly, we don’t use our clout often enough to preserve our profession and protect our patients.
There is strength in numbers. Together we are stronger.